Welcome! Bring the fascinating story of Canada's Siberian Expedition into your classroom. Strengthen students' critical thinking and primary-source research skills. Expand the boundaries of discourse on the First World War beyond the Western Front and Armistice Day. It's easy with these user-friendly Lecture Notes, PowerPoint slides, Tutorial Readings, and Essay/Exam questions.
PowerPoint Slides in PDF / PPT format
These engaging slides combine rich images and a selection of textual material. They are designed to be used as a complete package in a lecture, but feel free to adapt.
Student Handout:Timeline of Canada's Siberian Expedition
Benjamin Isitt, "Mutiny from Victoria to Vladivostok, December 1918." Canadian Historical Review 87, no 2. (June 2006), 223-264. PDF
Timothy C. Winegard, “The Canadian Siberian Expeditionary Force, 1918-1919, and the Complications of Coalition Warfare,” Journal of Slavic Military Studies 20, 2 (2007): 304.
Ernest Zitser, "'A Dirty Place for Americans to Be”: Images of the Russian Civil War in Siberia from the Robert L. Eichelberger Collection at Duke University Libraries," Slavic and Eastern European Information Resources, 10, no. 1 (2009), 29-44.
- • Why did the Canadian government intervene in the Russian Civil War?
- • Critically discuss the Canadian government's rationale behind the Siberian Expedition.
- • What tensions existed on the Canadian homefront in relation to the Siberian Expedition?
- • Discuss the motivations behind the Victoria mutiny of 21 December 1918.
- • Discuss the interaction between the Allied occupation and the partisan insurency in the Russian Far East.
- • Why did the Canadian goverment refuse authorization for a troop movement into the Siberian interior in 1918-19?
- • Discuss the legacy of the Siberian Expedition.
- • Why was the history of the Canada's Siberian Expedition forgotten?
Short Answer Questions:
- • Identify and briefly define:
- the Canadian Expeditionary Force (Siberia)
- the Victoria Mutiny
- the Bolshevik Government
- Allied Intervention in the Russian Civil War
- • Who was the commander of the CEFS?
- • How many Canadian troops deployed to Vladivostok with the CEFS?
- • Who was Canada supporting in the Russian Civil War?
- • What groups objected to the Siberian Expedition in Canadian society?
Plein site Internet venant bientôt